Literary Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Lounge

5 posters

Extreme or Simple Characters?

Roxanne
    Roxanne
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 257
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

Extreme or Simple Characters? Empty Extreme or Simple Characters?

Post by Roxanne Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Characters and their personalities are always a key part in the story you write. The way they react to a certain event chooses what will happen next (more or less).

• Do you like extreme characters or simple ones?

Extreme characters - ones that usually have one thing about them that's been taken to the extreme or written about in extreme detail (an illness, a habit, the way they look).

Simple characters - everything about them is balanced. For instance a character could be nice but there are times when he/she isn't in a very good mood and isn't so nice.

• Would the story you intended to write have an effect on what type of character you choose?

• If you wrote about an extreme character what would be extreme about them?

After the books I've recently read extreme characters seem to make for a better story. However, if I ever wrote a story I'd go for a mix of both extreme and simple. In a way, the story can always be changed to suit the character so I would say the characters choose what story I intend to write instead.

If I ever wrote about an extreme character it would be one with insecurity as there is a lot to play around with and being an extreme character you can visit all aspects of that.
    Christina
    Christina
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 172
    Registration date : 2008-10-17

Extreme or Simple Characters? Empty Characters

Post by Christina Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 pm

I enjoy both extreme and simple characters, but when it comes to writing, I like to have the main character have a simple life until some changes happen, like they're usually an average person until their parents disappear or the world gets destroyed and they're one of the few left. Stuff that's life-altering changes them into extreme characters, but my characters don't start out with a trait that makes them really exciting.
    Ayakella
    Ayakella
    Pupil

Female
    Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2008-10-26

Extreme or Simple Characters? Empty Re: Extreme or Simple Characters?

Post by Ayakella Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:36 pm

I like both types of characters, but extreme characters are best for main characters. For example, in a story I'm currently writing, there are three main characters, each very different and each that balance each other out. One, the main procrastinator, is reckless, outgoing, bossy, etc. The other girl is shy, sweet, and lightly airheaded. The guy is very down to earth, serious, patient, and often negative.
    Heart Angel
    Heart Angel
    Pupil

Female
    Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2008-10-21

Post by Heart Angel Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:46 pm

I enjoy making both. Or maybe kind of a mix of both in a way.
    My main characters are often always Air headed, Sweet, and Kind hearted. And always with lots of ribbons.
    My main boy characters are almost always very serious until he gets use to things then he can be very soft and sweet sometimes joking.
    My best friend types are always tomboy, violet, Or Bossy, Sister like.
    I often use a big brother and he is always gental caring and brave.
    Kasumi Light
    Kasumi Light
    Trainee

Female
    Number of posts : 55
    Registration date : 2008-11-09

Post by Kasumi Light Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:37 am

In a story I'm writing, I would say I have a simple character. In one chapter she gets really mad at her parents and starts yelling though that isn't something she would normally do. I'm not sure if I've used an extreme character before.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm